My first book Gaby, Lost and Found was published by Scholastic in 2012. Since its publication in 2012, there have been some major moments for me as a debut author. See a few highlights below. Enjoy! Let the count down begin!
10. I Met Judy Blume at the ALA – Ack! Love her!
Judy Blume was with her agent at an American Library Association conference reception when I spotted her gliding across the room toward the doors. She was making a swift exit so I rushed through the reception to stop her. I had to get a photo. I had to tell her how much she meant to me. So, I did it, reader.
Suddenly, I was in front of her. I smiled, told her she was my favorite and then I asked if I could get a photo. She seemed tired. Her agent opened his mouth slightly and appeared ready to spew out a strong excuse on her behalf, but then MAGIC happened!
She nodded and obliged me! And she was very sweet about it. Yay for persistence!!! Yay for magic! Yay for Judy Blume!
9. Hello! My name on a billboard in Houston, Texas!
8. I met Clifford the BIG RED DOG in Houston, Texas!
7. A student picked me for her “Amazing Women In History” project!
6. Rainbow loom bracelets from students all over the country!
5. San Antonio Book Festival where I had the chance to meet other authors and storytellers!
4. Gaby, Lost and Found won the International Latino Book Award in Las Vegas! Sweet victory!
3. Going home to Topeka, Kansas to meet Gaby fans!
2. Having Gaby, Lost and Found in the Scholastic catalogs.
1. All the wonderful students I’ve met during my school visits! They are a constant reminder of why I’m proud to be a kidlit writer.:)